Michael L. Kohner, CPA, AEP®, CAP®, CFP®
Principal-in-Charge, West Palm Beach | West Palm Beach, Florida
After 25 years of combined service at Arthur Andersen and Andersen Tax, Michael L. Kohner has retired from the firm to help launch the West Palm Beach office of HBK CPAs & Consultants.
Michael has more than 30 years of experience servicing clients and was a founding member of Andersen Tax. As Office Managing Director of Andersen Tax’s Florida practice, he coordinated the activities of tax, accounting, financial planning, and valuation professionals in serving public companies, closely held businesses, venture capital firms, high net wealth families, and corporate executives. Michael also served as the Head of the Andersen Tax firm’s Corporate Team and was the firm’s expert on the tax ramifications related to corporate aircraft and use of yachts.
Michael has extensive experience servicing complex high net worth families and their companies in the real estate, technology, media and entertainment, distribution, and venture capital industries. He consults with his clients with respect to issues such as federal and state income tax planning, income tax provisions, financial analysis, deal structuring, mergers and acquisitions, family wealth, and charitable gift planning.
Before co-founding Andersen Tax, Michael was a Tax Partner at Arthur Andersen, where he was in charge of the West Palm Beach tax department and the real estate tax group for Florida. In addition, he served as a member of the firm-wide technical advisory groups for both corporations and pass-through entities.
Michael has been a frequent speaker at the University of Florida, the Florida Institute of CPAs, Palm Beach County Estate Planning Council, and the Planned Giving Council. He is also an author of several articles on the tax ramifications of the personal use of corporate aircraft, tax issues associated with establishing residency, and several charitable giving strategies.
- Masters degree in Accounting, University of Florida
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Florida
- Co-Founder and Past-President, Palm Beach Philanthropy Tank
- President, Advisors for Philanthropic Impact
- Advisory Board, University of Florida Fisher School of Accounting
- Leadership Gifts Council, University of Florida Foundation
- Treasurer, Palm Beach Economic Council
- Board of Trustees, Florida Tax Watch
- Investment Committee, School District of Palm Beach County
- Executive Board of Directors, Past Treasurer, Investment Committee, Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County
- Past Chair, Education Foundation of Palm Beach County
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants Member
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants Member