Fort Myers was established in 1886 and is named after Col. Abraham C. Myers. It is the historical and governmental hub of Lee County, Florida and the gateway to the Southwest Florida region. Fort Myers was built in 1850 as a military fort in response to Seminole Indians that were in conflict with the area's few settlers.
In the late 1800s, Tootie McGregor and Thomas & Mina Edison imported Royal Palms that were planted along what is now known as McGregor Boulevard. These palms, some towering at 75 feet, give Fort Myers its nickname, the City of Palms.
Today, Fort Myers is the county seat and commercial center of Lee County.
*Follow us locally at HbKLee.com!!!