An Update to Ohio’s Plan to Distribute $350 Million to the State’s Long-Term Care Providers

Ohio has not yet distributed any of the funds for long-term facilities and services that its General Assembly appropriated in House Bill 169. As of Monday, January 18, the Ohio Department of Medicaid had not filed for the necessary federal approvals with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, attributing the holdup to a change in the methodology for distributing the $300 million designated for skilled nursing facilities, which was to be based on numbers of certified beds. The revised formula has 75 percent of the payout based on Medicaid days from 2020 cost reports. The remaining 25 percent is to be distributed according to “quality points” from the July 1, 2021, rate-setting, without excluding facilities ranking lower than the 25th percentile.

About the Author(s)

Joshua Zarlenga, CPA, MBA
Joshua Zarlenga is a Principal in the Youngstown, Ohio office of HBK CPAs & Consultants with extensive experience in the areas of taxation, financial reporting, profit enhancement and business consulting with closely-held companies. He serves a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, construction, medical practices, senior living services and wholesale distribution, as well as businesses ranging from small, locally-owned companies to large corporations. He can be reached at 330-758-8613, or by email at

Hill, Barth & King LLC has prepared this material for informational purposes only. Any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or under any state or local tax law or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding the matter.