Sales and Use Tax Consulting
As businesses expand into new markets, they can become entangled in a maze of complex sales and use tax issues involving multiple tax jurisdictions—just as state governments are becoming more aggressive in the enforcement of their tax laws. HBK tax professionals work with businesses to identify tax savings opportunities or any exposure, and help them comply with sales and use tax laws.
Some of the ways we can help you:
- Nexus Reviews — Review your company’s operations and provide a practical approach to minimize exposure while also ensuring proper sales and use tax registration in states where a taxable presence exists.
- Voluntary Disclosure Agreements — Negotiate and provide advance filing agreements with departments of revenue to satisfy prior sales and use tax liabilities with limited look-back and no penalties.
- Audit Representation — Provide assistance, from the pre-audit conference through the appeals process, with the goal of minimizing sales and use tax assessments.
- Reverse Sales Tax Audits (Refund Analysis) — Identify, document, and obtain refunds of sales and use taxes.
- Consulting — Provide resources to assist you with notice resolution, tax determinations, exemption certificates, and other sales/use tax issues.
- Due Diligence/Transaction Planning – Conduct a review of a target company’s sales and use tax records and procedures to identify tax risk. Reviews typically include quantifying potential exposure and providing recommendations to address any issues. Reviews are traditionally conducted on behalf of the buyer, but pre-transaction reviews for sellers are becoming more common.
- State Ruling Requests — Provide non-binding or formal written and binding guidance regarding a specific tax position of the Department of Revenue/Taxation in regard to a special or unique tax issue.
- Sales and Use Tax Manual — Provide a reference guide for the taxability of purchases or sales, tailored to your company’s specific needs and requirements.
- Seminars/Training — Deliver sales and use tax seminars and training designed to accommodate the specific needs and requirements of your group or business.