Michael Kapics, CPA, CCIFP
Principal | National Director, HBK Construction Solutions |
Mike is a Principal in the Youngstown, Ohio office of HBK CPAs & Consultants and has been with the firm since 2001. He is the National Director of HBK Construction Solutions, a team of specialists focused on contractors and their unique business needs.
In 2008, Mike received the designation of Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional (CCIFP) from the Institute of Certified Construction Industry Financial Professionals, Inc. (ICCIFP). ICCIFP is a not-for-profit corporation established to promote the highest standards of construction financial management through the credentialing of construction financial professionals. Mike works closely with hundreds of construction clients helping them achieve their financial goals.
In addition to his CCIFP distinction, Mike is a member of the Mahoning Division of the Builders Association, serves as Treasurer of the Construction Accounting Network, and is a member of the Ohio Contractor’s Association. He was published in the national construction magazine “Breaking Ground” as a subject matter expert on Financial Perspective in an article titled “Give Your Workforce the Financial Tools to Manage a Successful Project” in 2019. He also attends several national construction conferences each year to always stay ahead of industry trends and regulatory changes.
During his career, Mike has gained significant expertise in accounting and management consulting related to the construction industry. Mike’s industry distinctions include:
- Assisting clients with cash flow projections and financial statement projections. In one case, it helped lead to a contractor client obtaining more than $100M in a single contract bond.
- Helping a contractor secure a line of credit with a financial institution at seven times the level they had prior.
- Assisting in the negotiation of a settlement of sales tax liability, which resulted in a reduction of more than $200,000 from the original assessment.
- Aiding a contractor client in claim negotiations resulting in more than $1M of additional revenue.
- Providing expert witness testimony on behalf of a contractor, resulting in a successful lost revenue claim.
- Helping develop a training program for the management team of a contracting firm, to improve internal communication and overall profitability.
- BS in Business Administration degree in Accounting, Youngstown State University
- Masters degree in Business Administration, Youngstown State University
- Certified Construction Industry Financial Professional (CCIFP)
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants (OSCPA)
- Member, Mahoning Division of The Builders Association