Ohio’s Office of Workforce Transformation is accepting another round of TechCred applications. The deadline for submission is 3:00 p.m., August 31, 2020. TechCred, introduced in the fall of 2019, provides funding to employers to improve the technological skills of current and future employees. The program awards certifications, or credentials, in a wide range of skills including those in manufacturing technology, construction technology, business technology, cybersecurity, robotics, and information technology. For a list of credentials, or to request approval for an unlisted certification, visit https://techcred.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/techcred/about/credential-list/.
Employers can apply for funding by visiting https://techcred.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/techcred/apply. The Ohio Development Services Agency reviews applications competitively—not on a first-come, first-served basis—and awards funding of up to $2,000 per credential and $30,000 per employer per funding round. Employers are reimbursed for their training expenses after the current or prospective employee successfully completes their program and obtains the approved credential.
Qualifications for eligible credentials include:
- Credentials include certificates, which are earned by successfully completing training(s) or course(s), or certifications, which are earned by passing a standardized test recognizing an individual’s competency in a particular specialty.
- Credentials must be industry-recognized.
- Each credential must be earned in less than one calendar year in fewer than 900 clock hours or 30 credit hours.
- Credentials must be technology focused, relating to science, technology, engineering or math, or technical, such as developing, deploying or investing in technology, including software development, advanced manufacturing, cybersecurity, computer hardware, military applications, data analytics or other emerging fields.
- Online and distance-learning programs are encouraged. Employers and training providers must ensure any in-person training follows the recommendations of the Ohio Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
For more information about TechCred, visit techcred.ohio.gov. For questions about this program or other funding and support programs for manufacturers, contact a member of the HBK CPAs & Consultants Manufacturing Solutions Group by phone at 330-758-8613 or email at email@example.com.